[lbo-talk] Re: Queer Theory

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Sun Sep 26 16:39:28 PDT 2004

Carrol Cox wrote:

> the politics of
> claiming a given behavior is "genetic" is potentially disastrous.
>
> Skin color is genetic. That fact didn't stop a single lynching.
>
> "Jewishness" is not chosen but given; that did not stop the holocaust.
>
> To claim homosexuality is genetic is to lay the "scientific" (or
> pseudoscientific) basis for the liquidation of all homosexuals.
>
> For gay/lesbian liberation (as a practical political matter) to triumph,
> it _must_ be based on the claim that gayness is a choice, and a choice
> all humans have a right to.

i am in agreement except for the last point: to claim that it is a choice, is to choose to be impaled on the other horn. further, we continue to fall prey to the nature vs environment debate. imho, the correct argument has already been proposed on this thread, by others. to wit, there is no justification/rationale to [attempt to] restrict (or even comment on) the actions of one or more persons unless it harms others (in a demonstrable way).

--ravi