[lbo-talk] Re: stupid americans?

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Mon Sep 27 08:47:10 PDT 2004

"will to stupidity"

No such thing has ever existed. Nobody on Earth has ever _wanted_ to be dumb. Friedrich was on the laudanum bottle when he wrote this one.

Nietzsche got at it this way:

"A sign of strong character, when once the resolution has been taken, to shut the ear even to the best counter- arguments. Occasionally, therefore, a will to stupidity". --FN Beyond Good and Evil--

I suspect Americans like Canadians are wilfully ignorant and that it serves to nip any cognitive dissonance in the bud. That is, the people are complicit. It takes a whole nation to get to Nuremberg!

Travis