[lbo-talk] Re: stupid americans?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Sep 27 12:06:27 PDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Carl Remick wrote:

> This country doesn’t just tolerate mediocrity; it insists on it. Mediocrity
> is, of course, the iron law of capitalism – the drive to turn not just every
> item but every individual into a commodity, to ensure that no worker (except
> the uniquely talented "visionaries" at the top of the heap) is
> irreplaceable. But I think the US pursues the lowest common denominator
> with a zest unequaled in any other capitalist society.
>
> Carl

This underestimates the constructive and innovative effects of capitalism. Let's face it: mediocrity across all positions in an organization = lower profits. The capitalist system provides systematic incentives to do anything that increases profits (e.g., the elimination of textile factory jobs in the U. S.). If workers are mediocre, less surplus value can be extracted from them. Capitalist organizations need knowledgeable, efficient workers, and they have them--look at the productivity numbers for U. S. workers today compared to the past!

Miles