[lbo-talk] Political Success

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Mon Sep 27 16:57:04 PDT 2004

One simply cannot, _ever_, predict in advance when a period of equilibrium, when nothing really works very well, will suddenly explode into immense growth.

Within the perspective or set of perspectives I'm trying to roughly map out here, there is no way that the MWM can be other than a success, though I suspect that from the perspective of those who can't stand public embarassment and who live in the present it will be an utter failure. Its actual degree of success won't be clear for half a decade or so. But for those who participate in it (and in the follow-up envisaged by those who called it) it will have kept a movement alive. Presidential election years are usually movement-killers in the U.S.

Carrol