[lbo-talk] Re: stupid americans?

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Sep 27 21:47:45 PDT 2004

On Sep 27, 2004, at 1:17 PM, Carl Remick wrote:

> This country doesn’t just tolerate mediocrity; it insists on it.
> Mediocrity is, of course, the iron law of capitalism – the drive to
> turn not just every item but every individual into a commodity, to
> ensure that no worker (except the uniquely talented "visionaries" at
> the top of the heap) is irreplaceable. But I think the US pursues the
> lowest common denominator with a zest unequaled in any other
> capitalist society.

So let's all just give up trying to change anything. Let's just sit on our duffs and discuss, with our enormous intellects, just why it is that Americans are too stupid to ever change their society.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax