[lbo-talk] Re: stupid americans?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 28 07:57:33 PDT 2004

Carrol Cox wrote:

>The beauty of statements such as "Many X's believe P" is that it can't
>possibly be false, so it can't be worth a damn as well.

As far as I can tell, the tenets of Cox Thought are:

1) The world is just a series of endless particularities; generalizations are impossible. That makes theory impossible, too.

2) History just happens; we can't predict events or explain them after they occur.

3) Revolutions and other political earthquakes just happen, too; there's no way to persuade the unpersuaded. Therefore politics consists mainly of talking among ourselves, and holding small demonstrations whose principal point is doing a census of our tiny numbers.

Of course, I've just violated proposition 1). Sorry.

Doug