[lbo-talk] sick perversions

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Tue Sep 28 09:53:58 PDT 2004

I'm not saying all people everywhere need meat. I'm saying that, in the Amazon ecosystem, it's very difficult to have a varied and stable enough agriculture to live without meat. And, in any case, even if it were theoretically possible with modern farming technology, that isn't the Yanomamo way. They hunt and gather to supplement slash-and-burn plaintain and banana farming.

I'm not trying to prove the correct theory of Yanomamo life. I was just trying to mention an example that refutes Lance's heterosexism and biological determinism. Not even Chagnon's critics would argue that rape and brutality play some serious part in Yanomamo life, which remains based in part on hunting-and-gathering. As Harris and others argue, it is the issue of overhunting that provides the most convincing explanation for the brutality.

Nature is no lawbook for humans.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of ravi Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 6:29 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] sick perversions

Michael Dawson wrote:
> Then where do they get their protein? From hunting.

why do you need to hunt to get proteins? i have never hunted or eaten meat in my entire life (and neither have my hundreds of relatives, present and past) and i (we) seem to be getting enough protein to lead a healthy life.