[lbo-talk] 'Burbs as health hazard

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Tue Sep 28 16:25:25 PDT 2004

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>The problem is that with all they vast wasted space, the burbs rarely have
>any room for outdoor exercise. Roads have no sidewalks, so walking or
>bicycling can be very dangerous, especially that some SUV-driving assholes
>try to intimidate bikers and pedestrians by driving very close.
>
>There are almost no green spaces - everything is private property off limits
>to the public.

This was brought home to me very dramatically when I went to visit a programmer friend who bought some acres and a house near Yosemite. Now one thing you can do in the country is go out for a walk, right?

Most depressing walk of my life. Green rolling hills and blue skies as far as the eye could see -- and nowhere to walk, except the auto-road -- with lots of blind curves, speeding cars, and no sidewalks. You can't just cut across a field because all the fields are fenced off and PRIVATE. Infuckingcredible!!!

Bucolic suburbia but suburbia nonetheless. I had the same experience visiting some friends near Exeter in England. There, it's even worse because there are hedges all along the suicidal one lane roads so that there's no visibility either.

Jebus!

Joanna