[lbo-talk] Maximise or satisfice? (was:stupid americans?

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Sep 28 17:22:28 PDT 2004

At 07:33 PM 9/28/2004, joanna bujes wrote:

>The difference is that worker's have to deal with the product and managers
>don't. Workers make the product, implement the service, etc. Example, the
>company for which I work was putting out a very high-falutin computing
>product, which was really an amalgam of disparate pieces, which some mucky
>muck decided should be sold as a "system." Well, it wasn't a system, there
>was zero time spent on integrating the various pieces, making sure they
>didn't make conflicting demands on the underlying O/S, etc. There was zero
>time making sure they even worked together. There was not even any testing
>of the "system" because it was assumed that if the pieces were tested
>separately (successfully), they would also work together.

You've got to be kidding? This is elementary knowledge. I don't write code, I've only managed a (ONE!) SW development project and it wasn't even serious stuff. _I_ know this. True, I do research on and write about building security into a software development project, but WTF?

Kelley

"We're in a fucking stagmire."

--Little Carmine, 'The Sopranos'