[lbo-talk] Re: Maximise or satisfice? (was:stupid americans?

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Tue Sep 28 19:10:47 PDT 2004

> Carl Remick wrote:

>> How come Americans get all those patents and Nobels?

> This is too big a topic for one (over)post, but I think you’re

> staring at a rearview mirror, Doug.

Carl's right, Doug. Even according to establishment US sources - 1. There was a big NYTimes piece summarizing the evidence of a rapid fall in number of USer patents, Nobels, papers in scientific journals- Monday, May 3, 2004 "U.S. Is Losing Its Dominance In the Sciences" By William J. Broad - it costs money to get it from the NYTimes site now so no URL; and 2. Business Week and LATimes pieces at a Canadian site that collects useful establishment press articles <http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/supfacts/id465.html> But in military tech US remains No1 by far and away.

john mage