[lbo-talk] more info on the beating of the CPT volunteers...

bryan bryan at indymedia.org.il
Wed Sep 29 08:27:26 PDT 2004

More info on the situation from the Alternative Information Center

http://alternativenews.org/display.php?id=4148

Two American CPT volunteers in South Mount Hebron were attacked this morning by men with black masks, chains and bats Wednesday, September 29th, 2004 Alternative Information Center Kim Lamberty, 44 and Chris Brown, 39, American members of the Christian Peace Maker team, were walking children to school from Tuba to Twane early this morning, when a group of 4-5 masked men stopped them.

The masked man tripped Kim Lamberty. She fell and injured her legs and arm. According to her testimony, given while she was taken by ambulance to Soroka Hospital in Be'er Sheva, "They shoved me to the ground and started whipping me with a chain. I heard one of them saying in English: 'take her phone'. They took my bag, with my passport, phone and money". After the Attack, Lamberty was unable to walk.

Chris Brown, who walked behind Lamberty, says that "They came out of the bushes. We were very close to Maon Settlement. I heard them say something in Hebrew which I didn't understand. I said: Don't hurt the children. The children managed to run away. They whipped me with a chain and beat me.

I fell into a ditch, they kicked me in the back and threw stoned at me. I cut the left side of my face and it's bleeding badly. I have difficulty breathing". Brown is also being taken to the hospital.

Brown and Lamberty, along with another American CPT volunteer and an Italian member of 'Operation Dove', came to live in the village of Twane only three days ago. Yesterday, when they had walked primary school children back to school from Twane to Tuba, they noticed a security guard from the nearby settlement Maon watching them.

The people of the Maon settlement and outpost have been repeatedly preventing the children of Tuba for taking the short 2 kilometer road to school. In the past, they harassed and attacked volunteers who came to walk the children. If they don't use the direct road, the children have to take a longer, 10 kilometers road. According to Brown, Army forces that arrived at the scene of the attack this morning told the volunteers that the road they were on was 'forbidden' for Palestinians.

Contacts:

For testimonies and interviews: Diane 054-7712978 Chris 054-5839034 Georgio 054-473150

For background on attacks of school children in the area:

Ezra Nawi Ta'ayush 050-5515751

For more information: Ayelet Bechar, Aheret/Aher, 052-3448566