[lbo-talk] Meanwhile, Canada Moves Left

paul childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 29 10:27:59 PDT 2004

>>Speaking of Canada, today's NYT has a piece
>><http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/29/international/americas/29letter.html>

>David Bercuson of the University of Calgary
>The Calgary Herald
>Michael Bliss, a University of Toronto
>J. L. Granatstein
>Jeffrey Simpson

What horseshit. A collection of right wing windbags if ever there was one, nice balance too, only one voice raised as counterpoint, Desmond Morton, who points out that the times these people are nostalgic for:

>It once built great railroads, conquered the Arctic and had the world's fourth largest armed forces at the end of World >War II,

and

>The two books hark back to the days when Canada lifted far more than its weight to win World Wars I and II

come with a price to pay. These guys are largely military historians, unless we're fighting a war we're without national purpose.

>Many intellectuals on the left

Like who? We don't get anecdotes about them hammering out screeds to right wing media outlets after they watch the Olympics.

A superficial overview of this country at best.Hockey and health care are in perpetual crisis, as health economist Bob Evans pointed out years ago, if there was no crisis in health care, that would be a crisis.

PC

N P Childs

'I'm Mister Bad Example, the stranger in the dirt, I like to have a good time and I don't care who gets hurt'.

-Mr. Bad Example, W Zevon