[lbo-talk] Meanwhile, Canada Moves Left

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Wed Sep 29 10:34:55 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> mike larkin wrote:
>
> >"Martin draws up a left-leaning blueprint
>
> Speaking of Canada, today's NYT has a piece
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/29/international/americas/29letter.html>
> on anguish within Canada about the country's
> "decline." The hook was the Olympic runner
> Perdita Félicien's tripping over the first
> hurdle, supposedly received as some sort of
> national trauma.
>
> Anything to this, resident Canadians? It sounded
> like a right-leaning obsession, but the piece
> never came out and said that.
---------------------------------- Bercuson, Bliss, Granatstein, and Morton are conservative historians and good friends -- ideological kin to the Himmelfarb/Genovese school in the US -- who have long lamented the leftist, postmodernist, PC takeover of the academy; the lamentable failure of Canadian voters, especially those in the East, to end the corrupt one-party Liberal dictatorship in Canada; the insistent whining of French-speaking Quebecers for greater autonomy, all the while suppressing the rights of their own internal English minority; the waste and inefficiency of Medicare and other social programs; and the endemic knee-jerk anti-Americanism which has reduced Canada's once-proud military to penury and prevented the country from playing its proper role alongside our neighbours in the global battle against terrorism. And, now on top of this, they are having to deal with Perdita's fall. The rest of us are still going about our business, best I can tell.

MG