[lbo-talk] So anyway, the Progressive Income Tax...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Sep 29 17:35:47 PDT 2004

linette at taxwisdom.org wrote:

> I suppose I'll be pretty amazed if it turns out
> that none of the economic liberals who visit this
> forum much care if there are some new theoretical
> arguments available that are absolutely devastating
> to the agenda of Supply Side Theorists.

What evidence do you have that the arguments of economists were ever a major influence on policy. It seems rather that from the 17th c. on the arguments of the economists always _followed_ rather than precipitated economic and political practice.

If political explosions make taxing the rich politically necessary, then (and I think only then) will the arguments you cite become influential, after the fact.

Carrol