[lbo-talk] draft?

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Wed Sep 29 18:51:37 PDT 2004

>From "md":

> Democrats are the main sponsors....
>
> Can't blame bush for everything can we? And arguably, wouldn't a draft
> be a more equitable way to share the burden of fatuous warfare?
-------------------------------------- Didn't the draft spark and fuel the antiwar movement in the 60s? Isn't this a persistent fear of successive administrations which have toyed with the idea of reinstituting it?

The Pentagon seems wedded to the idea of a smaller, highly mobile, professional military -- presumably one which could draw on the necessary cannon fodder in the form of private "contractors" and local auxiliaries, as in Iraq. If anything, Iraq has probably reinforced the Vietnam syndrome, which is to avoid putting large numbers of US troops in harm's way, thus obviating the need for a draft. Pure speculation on my part, though.

MG