[lbo-talk] US employment

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Apr 1 12:15:32 PST 2005

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Pretty disappointing US jobs report this morning - just 110k new jobs, with
> Feb's gain revised down. The long-term average would be about 220k, and the
> long-term expansion average (excluding recession periods, that is) is around
> 360k.

I just checked out the Jobwatch site at EPI, and I'm astounded that private sector job growth has been so weak. --An actual loss of private sector jobs since March 2001! It's ironic that the growth in employment during the Bush regime is largely due to the expansion of government jobs. (Growing the economy by increasing the government-paid workforce: it's the repug version of the WPA!)

Miles