[lbo-talk] Linux, was New Imperialism? Imperialism has been monopoly

T Fast tfast at yorku.ca
Sat Apr 2 09:24:38 PST 2005

>I use specialized programs and drivers that were written for Windows. I
>would be
> happy to switch to Linux if I could still run them without too much
> trouble.
> --
> Michael Perelman

And this is still the key problem for Linux "I would be happy to switch to Linux [if it were] not too much trouble." Switching to Linux is still requires a heavy commitment by the end user of time. And it is significantly more time than simply learning a new word processing package. While the Linux distributions have gotten much better they are still far from user friendly and the support is written by LinuxHeads for LinuxHeads or want to be LinuxHeads. I run Linux distros on both my laptop (Kanotix) and on my desktop. But the curve is very steep. Why would the average user spend 6 hours in research and testing to set up file sharing on their home lan with linux when it takes about 30 minutes to do it with windows? (Yes I know if you already know linux it takes 10 minutes). And yes yes I know linux is more stable and its networking capabilities are vast but so is the time commitment to realize that potential for the Average User.

Travis