[lbo-talk] new Marta piece & review of Liza's Wal-Mart book

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 10:35:36 PST 2005

On Apr 2, 2005 10:50 AM, martin <mschiller at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Apr 2, 2005, at 8:49 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> >> Seems pretty clear to me that he's not talking about the cleaning
> >> staff.
> >
> > Guess they were just collateral damage.
> >

> Did Churchill's comments inflict collateral damage?
>
> Martin

Matthew (if I'm remembering his first name correctly) Lazar, a lefty who wrote one of two books I know of on Pacifica Radio history, lost his Father or Uncle on 9-11, who worked in one of the twin towers. Member of Nine-Eleven Peaceful Families For Tomorrow http://www.peacefultomorrows.org/ , I wonder if any of their leftish members has commented on Churchill and chickens roosting?

Sam Friedman, an author of a book on TDU and the Teamsters, who I met in person a few yrs. ago,(a very funny, sardonic lefty) who some others may know from other lists like PSN, who joined SDS when JFK was Pres., worked in one of twin towers. Luckily that day all the staff had the day off. Sam works for an progressive AIDS research org.

Churchill, who brags (whether this is true or not, I dunno) about giving weapons training (learned from his Caterillar tractor, 'er I mean Special Forces in 'Nam days) to the Weather Underground, has more than a whiff of their white, mother country, belly of the beast, no one is innocent, collective punishment line. One of those Old/New Left solidarity cliches (which doesn't make it at all false ;-) constantly uttered to "revolutionary tourists" on Comrade Willi Munzenberg Global Exchange Express Tours, Inc., is that, "We distinguish between the USG and the US people." Would that Churchill and his ilk would remember the class contradictions underneath their ethno-nationalist thinking with the blood.

-- Michael Pugliese