[lbo-talk] Linux, was New Imperialism? Imperialism has been monopoly

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sat Apr 2 12:22:21 PST 2005

That depends. When I started out in hi tech, I worked with UNIX and liked it a lot. Having that fine-grained access to the OS was very reassuring. I also liked the Mac a lot -- I lost a good deal of control, but I trusted the interface, and I was able to do pretty much everything I wanted to do very easily.

MSoft gives me nothing but anxiety. I don't have the control and I don't have the ease of use. I hate it.

If I were just using a computer for my own needs, the Mac would win hands down. But, for work, I'd probably rather have a UNIX box -- assuming, BIG assumption, that they actually gave me some time to learn it.

The thing about having real control with UNIX is that you do have to understand what an OS is and what it does. I don't think that this is that hard, but I didn't think Calculus was that hard either. But a lot of people do, and they should be able to use computers too. I think UNIX could use a good user interface. This would limit what you could do, but it would help a lot of people. This would be good. I guess everyone else would have to read books.

Ravi, Chuck, anyone, are there good UNIX books?

Joanna