[lbo-talk] Linux, was New Imperialism? Imperialism has beenmonopoly

Adam Souzis adamsz at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 14:26:01 PST 2005

actually OS X uses Samba too, so there's no robustness advantage there. But you're right about usability -- there's many structural reason's why the ad hoc, volunteer hacker development model has a hard time creating slick software that "your grandma can use" (not that it can't be done, witness Firefox).

However, this point isn't that relevant for the same reason I described in my previous reply to this thread -- focusing on the idealized hacker misses the importance of corporate sponsership. The Linux desktop is just becoming a viable business model (e.g. Sun signed a deal last year to put it on millions of Chinese government desktops) and so the usability will follow. Red Hat, Sun, Novell/Suse, among others, all have dedicated usability engineers working on this and so expect the situation to change in the next year or two.

-- adam