[lbo-talk] Re: Zinn on smallpox

Tim Francis-Wright twright at ziplink.net
Sun Apr 3 19:21:24 PDT 2005

Marta Russell wrote:

>>Chuck wrote:

>>Whatever. This is not evidence of academic misconduct. Until the

>>recent attacks on Churchill, I had long been under the impression

>>that the U.S. had conducted germ warfare against the Mandans and

>>other plains nations. I don't recall getting this information from

>>Churchill, so it must have been found in a variety of histories.

>My copy of Howard Zinn's Peoples History is lent out but it could

>well be there.

Zinn mentions germ warfare against Native Americans only once, in the first half onf Chapter 5 (page 86 of my 1995 paperback edition):

"Under order from British general Jeffrey amherst, the commander of Fort Pitts gave the attacking Indian chiefs, with whom he was negotiating, blankets from the smallpox hospital. It was a pioneering effort at what is now called biological warfare, An epidemic soon spread among the Indians."

--tim francis-wright