[lbo-talk] Two dabbawallas from Mumbai to attend Charles-Camilla wedding

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 10:32:09 PDT 2005

Two dabbawallas to attend Charles-Camilla wedding

Mumbai, April. 4 (PTI): Two 'Dabbawallas' from Mumbai are all set to leave for London to attend the wedding of Prince Charles and his long-time partner Camilla Parker Bowles, after receiving invitations from the British High Commission. Dabbawallas (tiffin box carriers) Raghunath Medge and Sopan Mare will attend the wedding on April 8.

"Mare (55) and I will leave on April 6 or 7 and have already submitted our signed visa forms to the Deputy High Commission here," said 48-year old Megde.

"As we two had our passports ready, which were made last year when we attended an International Conference on Organic Food at Italy, we will attend the marriage," Medge said.

"The High Commission has asked only two members of our Association to attend the wedding," Medge said.

On March 14, the members of Mumbai Tiffin Box Suppliers' Association (MTBSA), had sent gifts for Charles and Camilla, comprising a Puneri Pheta (a turban from Pune) for the groom and a traditional green saree and a pair of Kolhapuri sandals for the bride.

"We will wear our traditional white pyjama and jibba (kurta) and white cap at the wedding because we want to represent true Indians, Maharashtrians in particular," he said. Asked whether they would be carrying some more gifts, "may be some flowers or something of that sort," he said.

The MTBSA members, who each day deliver about 1.5 lakh (150,000) home-cooked lunch boxes to office-goers and students all over the city, had attracted the attention of Prince Charles during his visit to the city a few years back.

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/001200504042066.htm