[lbo-talk] Linux, was New Imperialism? Imperialism has beenmonopoly

T Fast tfast at yorku.ca
Mon Apr 4 12:07:47 PDT 2005

> i'll come clean on another front: my fondness for freebsd/linux/mozilla
> is more because of what [i believe] they embody than because of
> usability and functionality (there is another reason: my own background
> leads me to choose unix-like OSs for technical reasons). i think open
> source, *even* if it lacks the features of proprietary stuff, is
> valuable for more important reasons (collective effort, etc). i am a
> part (or at least can be) of the making of the things i use. this sort
> of sentimental primitivism is terribly unfashionable, i am afraid, on
> this list.
>
> --ravi

I installed Linux on both my machines because I was tired of the manipulative and overpriced OSs from microsoft. When I got my laptop, XP was pre-installed. No XP cd came with the laptop instead it was stored on a Hidden partition (well not that hidden). If I had a significant hard disk failure the stored copy would be useless. Also if I attempted to put in a new hardrive and upgrade the CPU my recovery cds would be useless since the serial # would not match. So of course the first thing I set out to do was make a working CD of XP. 36 hours later I managed to make a complete copy that I could install a redmond verified copy on any computer in my house. It as at this point I thought f-ck it, not only was MS taking good money for their OS they were also taking a considerable amount of my time to get a fully functional OS. Just think how much of Linux I could have learned in that 36 hours. So what makes Linux attractive to me is that I can have a fully functional PC up and running within about 20 minutes complete with the core programs I need to keep me at my work. As it stands Linux plays the role of a backup OS and print server. And as KDE improves along with Open Office I can see a full migration in the offing in the near future. As it stands right now if you do your research it is possible to assemble a completely Linux compatible PC with oem drivers. A couple of improvment on the UI's and the Linux desktop will be there.

As it stands right now I am happy to spend time learning Linux cause I do like to know how things work--not a sign of antiquated primitivism, but, rather, an adequated modernism. Although, Heidegger would perhaps disagree.

Travis