[lbo-talk] For Carl R. & Wojtek

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 4 16:07:59 PDT 2005

> Doug asks:
>
> > Isn't there something political about Americans
> > eating too much when about 2 billion people don't
> > have enough to eat?
>
> Only if you think that those 2B people don't have enough to eat BECAUSE
> "Americans eat too much" ... which is kind of a stretch, don't you
> think? To me, this sort of sounds like "It rained yesterday when Joey
> was wearing blue pants." ...
>
> That is: if Americans ate less, would the 2B number go up or down?
>
> /jordan

Isn't most hunger a result of the fact that countries have turned over much of their agricultural production to crops they can export and turn into cash that they then use to service debt? Is overconsumption of high caloric, nutritionally deficient food that is cheap and plentiful for US citizens part of the world hunger problem? It seems more a symptom of the problem than a cause.

John Thornton