[lbo-talk] sentimental primitivism?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 07:40:41 PDT 2005

Kelley:

What do you guys means by primitivism?

=================

I'll let Ravi offer his own interpretation. But as for me...

sen-ti-men-tal pri-mi-ti-vism

1. A phrase used to describe (what appears to be or may in fact be) a state of uncritical enthusiasm for some event, project, process, work of art, etc

2. An unsophisticated (as defined by strict materialists) appreciation of some event, project, process, work of art, etc

3. A failure to list all the pitfalls of whatever event, project, process, work of art, etc a person expresses great enthusiasm for.

as in...

Lucretia told Abercrombie that the open source software movement has the potential to alter social relations because it's creating and nourishing a *gift culture*. I really find that kind of sentimental primitivism, which always fails to see the poisoning power of Capital, annoying.

.d.