[lbo-talk] Stuck on a desert island

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Tue Apr 5 07:43:14 PDT 2005

On 04/05/05 02:51, tully wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 April 2005 01:12 am, John Adams wrote:
>>I never cared for that album, or that entire turn in the Tull
>> career. It's _Benefit_ and _Stand Up_ and _This Was_ where you find
>> the real good stuff.
>
> *Two* people on one list with this much knowledge of Tull?? Have I
> died and gone to heaven? lol

;-) johnA and you probably know more of tull history than i do, but i dont see (as a regular listener) heavy horses as the turning point that leads to aqualung or crest of a knave, etc. heavy horses, to me, is poetic. the later stuff is just a lot of "hard rock".

thanks for the tip on barre's solo work (i agree with you about anderson's solo stuff -- but in his defense, he was probably intentionally attempting some exploratory fusion music).

> If you were stuck on a desert island and could only listen to the
> complete works of one group, composer, or musician, who would it be?

that's a tough one... dare i say pat metheny group, or stay respectable with miles davis? ;-)

if you want to try something new and interesting, and like jazz, give this guy (nils petter molvaer) a shot:

http://www.nilspettermolvaer.com/

--ravi