[lbo-talk] Delong puts the smackdown on ol' Whiskers

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Tue Apr 5 14:44:19 PDT 2005

That's an attempt to score a distinction without a difference! As we all (except Brad) know, Marx argued you have to do both -- account for production AND historical/qualitative relationships. Exploitation isn't just bad pay. It's also alienation from any say over the conditions of work and the size and distribution of the society's economic surpluses. God, that's just sophomore-in-college interpretation (and it could be 7th grade, if Marx were ever de-stigmatized.)

And, btw, who on the planet DOESN'T count work hours as their first and foremost concern, whenever the issue arises? "How long will I be working for you to earn the money you offer?"