[lbo-talk] Delong puts the smackdown on ol' Whiskers

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 16:03:02 PDT 2005

Actually I don't know whether Michael and I disagree. I was just asking about corporate "abstinence" -- is it silly to treat the examples I gave as a sort of "abstinence"?

But whether or not it is, surely some corporate profits come from investment in R&D, plant and equipment, collateralizable assets and the like. Just as other corporate profits come from the monopoly positions that some corporations have. (Marx's example in the chapter on Differential Rent in CIII is the waterwheel.) These erxamples show that there are other cources of profits than exploitation. So the LTV or the LV is not strictly true either empirically nor a perfect analytical framework if it is an a priori assumption.

However, and here Michael and I agree, it's highly plausible that for almost all corporations or capitalist firm, the exploitation if labor is the only long term reliable source of profit. The others cancel out on the average if not in the individual case. (They may over time in the individual case.) But as long as a capitalist firm can squeeze labor out of its workers and sell waht they produce with something left over, it will make profit even if it is only as "abstinent" as a average. Or less so, if it can squeeze enough.