[lbo-talk] Delong puts the smackdown on ol' Whiskers

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Apr 5 20:56:16 PDT 2005

Justin wrote:

>....In CI, the thing Marx is most interesting in
>explaining and clarifying is the source of profits is
>everything, including labor, trades at value,
>understood as SNALT (sociallly necessary abstract
>labor time, multiples of unskilled labor necesasry to
>produce the typical commodity or total set of
commodities)....

This is just completely, ludicrously, wrong. Marx never speaks of "socially necessary *abstract* labor time"--he always speaks of "socially necessary labor time." And the unit of measure is very explicitly "average"--"*durschnittsgrad*"--labor time. It is never *unskilled*--*unerkundig* or *ungelernt*--labor time.

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)