[lbo-talk] Delong puts the smackdown on ol' Whiskers

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Wed Apr 6 11:32:52 PDT 2005

> By the way, even though Wal-Mart has very substantial market power,
> it's been using that power to drive down wages & prices. About the
> only major "monopoly" I can think of right now that's overcharging
> consumers is Microsoft - and a lot of its consumers are businesses,
> not individuals.
>
> Doug

I'm wondering, though, about the danger of also overstating this. The other day, you seemed to say that you don't think corporate pricing is co-respective any more. If that were true, why don't we have deflation? Managed (non-market) pricing doesn't have to look like the 1970s, right?

And wouldn't SUV pricing be a pretty major example of corporate price gouging? SUVs are pick-ups with hugely marked-up gimmicks atop, right? The 8 or 10 firms that sell them certainly conspire to leave this balloon unpopped, don't they?