[lbo-talk] Chechnya rocks!

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 11:37:38 PDT 2005

Some months ago, I cited the Moscow Times:

Chechen Chanteuse

By Anna Malpas Published: December 24, 2004

For proof that pop and patriotism can go hand in hand, look no further than veteran singer Oleg Gazmanov, who regularly rolls out his hit song, "Officers," with lines like "For Russia and freedom to the end," on military holidays. Meanwhile, Chechen singer Liza Umarova hopes that her music calling for peace will win over audiences on both sides of the conflict.

(Gazmanov sings a really tacky patriotic song called "Made in the USSR" that is all the rage now.) Anyway, it turns out that one can listen to Umarova and lots of other Chechen singers courtesy of the incredibly valuable Chechnyafree.ru site here: http://www.chechnyafree.ru/index.php?section=musiceng&lng=eng

I was going to link to the Dead Dolphins website, but it's all in Russian. They are quite popular now. Considering the shape the republic is in, it's amazing how much pop music they churn out.

I think Chechen sounds really cool. Enjoy!

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

__________________________________ Yahoo! Messenger Show us what our next emoticon should look like. Join the fun. http://www.advision.webevents.yahoo.com/emoticontest