[lbo-talk] Delong puts the smackdown on ol' Whiskers

Autoplectic autoplectic at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 17:07:35 PDT 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 7:38 AM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Autoplectic wrote:
> >
> > > The mere fact that there is no resolution after 125+ years shows there
> > something wrong with trying to infer or deduce [take your pick, I
> > don't care] a normative wrong from a bunch of algebra and calculus no
> > matter how intricate the algorithms.
>
> "There is here, therefore, an antinomy, right against right, both
> equally bearing the seal of the law of exchanges. Between equal rights,
> force decides." Cap. I, Ch. X.
>
> Carrol

Uh, we were discussing and debating the status of various propositions and hypotheses within a theory, not the conflict laden social system that those propositions claim to describe-represent-explain. His claim above begs the question as regards his own theory, unless you want to play the underdetermination of theory by evidence game, in which case the use of the term exploitation is reduced to rhetoric which theorists and others are entirely free to ignore; i.e. KM isn't so much right or wrong as...........ignorable.