[lbo-talk] US to demand passports of Canadian travelers

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 22:25:34 PDT 2005

This is a first...

US to demand passports of Canadian travelers

www.chinaview.cn

2005-04-06 23:46:25

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-04/06/content_2796244.htm

OTTAWA, April 6 (Xinhuanet) -- Canadians will no longer be able to enter the United States using their driver's licence or citizenship card as new US rules require Canadians to produce a passport instead, local press reported Wednesday.

Under the new rules announced Tuesday, as of Dec. 31, 2005, Canadians will need to show a passport or other "secure document" if trips to the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central or South America by air or sea include a US stopover.

The few exceptions to that rule will have to show a secure alternative , such as the Customs and Border Protection Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection (SENTRI), NEXUS and Free and Secure Trade (FAST) program cards, to clear immigration.

Canadians will still be exempt from an American program that requires foreign visitors to be fingerprinted upon entry, but the new rules nevertheless prompted a terse response from Canadian Public Safety Minister Anne McLellan.

"We will review our requirements for American citizens, and we're going to do that in collaboration with the United States," McLellan said Tuesday , hinting that Canada could impose a similardemand on Americans travelling north. <...>