[lbo-talk] Meanwhile in Zimbabwe....

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Thu Apr 7 04:26:34 PDT 2005

Politics loves a vacuum: if you don’t fill it with hope, it will be filled with fear. What a pity that the mdc and civil society doesn’t use this philosophy as a guiding light. But perhaps the reality at this time is that we must build ourselves up outside of political parties and create a powerful people’s movement where zvido zvevanhu (not politicians’ ambitions) direct our activities. In many different countries around the world it has been organised people power that has eventually removed dictatorships. In our previous newsletters we often spoke of the need to look further than the symbol on the ballot paper and to engage more personal responsibility in selecting our mps or representatives based on their integrity, insight and commitment to community as well as broader areas of concern. At this time we as individuals need to dig deep and find our own inspiration and motivation for challenging injustice and intolerance. This often means that we have to become our own leaders. We need to lead by personal example whether it is organising small house meetings to discuss challenging the regime, or making our own leaflets and sharing them in community, or standing UP to institutional repression by refusing to pay taxes to the state (in any form: income tax, levies, licences etc). We cannot go face to face with an enemy that has all the state machinery at its disposal so we must work with stealth like a thief at night. Jambanja is not an option but we have an obligation to neutralise the machinery that is used to enslave and impoverish us. Any institution that doesn’t work for the people is against the people.

full: http://www.zvakwana.org/

****************************************************************** Live in harmony with the Earth. Abolish the wages system. http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal