[lbo-talk] the price of everything and the value of nothing

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 05:40:25 PDT 2005

Why is disagreement evidence of lack of understanding? Is the point so evident that anyone who understood it would agree? Is it necessary to go ad hominem? Did I say that your fundamentalist faith prevents your from grasping the simple, obvious, and fatal arguments with your cherished but preposterous beliefs? Let's avoid this personalization.

I know that value there is supposed to operate at the systemic level, and to show that there's exploitation at that level. And it does a tolerably decent job of modeling that. I have actually said that at least five times in this discussion. At least!

But you don't need value theory to make that point, the theoty embroiled in complications elsewhere, it has made no progress and shown no results in over 100 years. Adherence to it is now evidence (not conclusive) of crankery. It's time to disentangle what's good in Marx from the theory he inherited from classical political economy, and move on.