[lbo-talk] Checking the Popes genitals (was DN!, WSWS & the Pope)

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 7 19:37:15 PDT 2005

> Oh, and speaking of that reactionary old bastard, I read in NY Press
> a few weeks ago that there's a ritual examiniation of the genital
> package of a new pope to make sure he's not a she. Does anyone know
> if this is really true?
>
> Doug

They don't do it today but there is very good evidence in the Vatican Museum that they did at one time. The church officially denies it ever did but they have no rational explanation for the "sella stercoraria". It goes back to whether you believe the legend of Pap Jeanne or not. The evidence is enough to make anyone question the official story but not enough to prove anything. I tend to think it is probably true and hope that all the records for the period were not destroyed so it might be proven at some point. It isn't something I have a burning desire to research myself. So the answer to your question is no, they are not going to examine the next Popes genitals to confirm his sex.

John Thornton