[lbo-talk] Saul Bellow/Reactionary and Religious Art

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 8 14:14:44 PDT 2005

Ok, the point about Tolstoy is well taken. And, of course, there has been great religious art. But I think you will agree that when art gets too tied to ideology ("preachy" as you say ) that it loses its force.

Of course, there have been great leftist artists but most of them have not been in the direct service of ideology. De Sica was a name that Wojtek mentioned; he was severely criticized by certain Communists for something like, "Miracle in Milan", even though it is one of the greatest leftist movies ever. Add to the names already mentioned that of Picasso, Aragon, Eluard (and many of the other Surrealists, Breton, etc), Sartre...I like his plays and novels better than his philosophical writings, etc, etc, and that is just getting started with the French.

Thomas

> > On the other hand, good left art is not so easy to
> > find. Mayakovsky. Eisenstein. Brecht. Arthur
> Miller.
> > Beethoven. Puccini. But a lot of its preachy and
> dull,
> > liuke Mark Blitzstein's Rock the Cradle.
>
> Milan Kundera, Ingmar Bergman (esp. "Fanny and
> Alexander"), Bertolucci,
> Vittorio De Sica, Pasolini, Diego Rivera, Frieda
> Kahlo.....
>
> I think good art is mostly left.
>
> Wojtek

<<We are at such a point in mankind's evolution where changed conditions invalidate all our policies that have been so successful even in the recent past, and that presumably have constituted the ideal response to a presumably unchanging and unchangeable human condition. No wonder we are stupefied and confused-but our mistake is the same which many cultures have made before us, namely to force a rigid model upon a fluid reality.

Erich Jantsch - "Design for Evolution: Self-Organization and Planning in the Life of Human Systems"