[lbo-talk] Saul Bellow/Reactionary and Religious Art

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Fri Apr 8 14:51:00 PDT 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>Milan Kundera, Ingmar Bergman (esp. "Fanny and Alexander"), Bertolucci,
>Vittorio De Sica, Pasolini, Diego Rivera, Frieda Kahlo.....
>
>I think good art is mostly left.

I don't know how sensible it is to put a political hat on art, but I kind of agree. You left out Satiajit Ray, Paul Robeson, R. B. Traven....and many others. Thing is, right-wing art gets a lot more critical support.

Traven is an especially good example. He's one of the best American writers of the century, but he is not taught at all -- most people don't even know he ever existed, and I have to guess that it's because of his politics. Compare the availability and renown of that constipated, imperialist cock-sucker Naipaul with that of the wonderous Narayan.

Joanna