[lbo-talk] Shiavo "Forbidden video"

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Fri Apr 8 20:49:27 PDT 2005

No, Miles is right: Marta is trippin, and this reflects very, very poorly on her overall politics. For one thing, Marta, do YOU wish to be preserved in the vegetable state? I severely doubt it. But, perhaps you do. Perhaps you feel like its politically and intellectually correct to say everybody who isn't decomposing is just "disabled." I find that to be a position that deeply discredits your excellent work on behalf of the truly disabled. I think the general public would concur. Disability is a status that still presumes humanity, meaning existence of some gray matter and active function.

Even if one disagrees with that, it can't help Marta that she's so barkingly irrational about this. She displays a completely cavalier attitude to the evidence. The doctors killed her -- she could swallow and eat and drink -- she had conscious reactions -- all that is starkly refuted by the amazingly indulgent M.D. the judge appointed in 2003 as GAL. Raise that with Marta and she tells you about a case where somebody with a different problem recovered...