[lbo-talk] Cain's wife

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 9 08:59:29 PDT 2005

Doug:

Where'd she come from? Was she his sister? She just pops up in Genesis without so much as an introduction.

This is the sort of question that came up fairly regularly in Bible class when I was a restless kid, squirming in my seat as (sometimes) well meaning religious instructors tried to save my soul.

As I remember, the Bible teachers' explanation was that she was his sister (had to be, given the um, low population density of the planet as described in Genesis) but settle down kids, it was cool, because God didn't frown on familial inter-marriage till much, much later; when it was practical to do so. Approximately around the time of the flood, when incest -- among other sins -- became an offense punishable by watery, global annihilation.

Did a Google search on this using Cain's wife as the criteria. It seems the *mystery* of Cain's wife is a latter day *how many angels can dance on a pin's head* debate topic:

see --

<http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&hl=en&q=cain%27s+wife&btnG=Google+Search

shortened url -- <http://makeashorterlink.com/?S24112BDA >

.d.