[lbo-talk] Shiavo "Forbidden video"

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 09:31:09 PDT 2005

---- Original Message ---- From: Carrol Cox To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2005 7:34 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Shiavo "Forbidden video"

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> Michael Dawson wrote:
>>
>>> Marta, you've been profoundly dishonest on this whole thread
>>
>> Can you stop insulting Marta and everyone else you disagree with,
>> or is it a compulsion for you?
>
> Usually it works simply not to read Dawson's endless stream of
> bile, but this time it seriously fucked up discussion of the issue.
> How could Marta respond to those of us who tried to keep our
> disagreement principled when the atmosphere was being poisoned by
> the likes of Dawson? His attacks on Marta are pure slime.
>
> Carrol

Psychotherapy via keboard never *does* work quite right.

When I mentioned that Marta and Tully should seek help for their hyper-emotionalism regarding Terri Schiavo, I meant it in good faith, not as a flame. I can't speak for M Dawson.

However, Marta's attachment to the western medical practice of drugging away the symptoms IS something I find seriously disturbing, considering that the benzodiazepines she specifically mentioned:

<...> "...CMS has already stated that some drugs that most states cover through their Medicaid programs-such as benzodiazepines-will not be covered by Medicare Part D. (See #17 at http://www.familiesusa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Medicare_Central_Analysis_Final_Regs#seven) " <...>

...qualify more as social control drugs for "out of control" people, than as any sort of valid medical therapy.

<...> Benzodiazepines

The benzodiazepine family of depressants are used therapeutically to produce sedation, induce sleep, relieve anxiety and muscle spasms, and to prevent seizures. In general, benzodiazepines act as hypnotics in high doses, and as sedatives in low doses.

Of the drugs marketed in the United States that affect central nervous system function, benzodiazepines are among the most widely prescribed medications and, unfortunately, the most frequently abused. <...> http://www.coolnurse.com/benzo.htm

More at: http://www.benzo.org.uk/

<...> The latest twist is that in January this year the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) sent a statement to all doctors reminding them that benzodiazepines should only be prescribed for short-term treatment (2-4 weeks). This was a follow-up of similar advice from the Committee on Safety of Medicines in 1988. But the CMO pointed out that despite this advice many doctors were still prescribing the drugs long-term. 30% of the 12.7 million GP prescriptions were for 56 tablets at a cost of £20.9 million/year in England. He suggested that they should think about cutting down this use. <...> http://www.benzo.org.uk/asholdm.htm

Two to four week treatment regime... I suspect that any medical insurance would cover this, including medicare... aid, whatever.

If Medicare... Part D, is the long term therapy portion of the Medicare bill, then it *would* be appropriate for benzodiazepines(and many other drugs) not to be included.

L http://www.leighm.net http://www.furl.net/members/leigh_m/rss.xml