[lbo-talk] Shiavo "Forbidden video"

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 23:59:23 PDT 2005

---- Original Message ---- From: tully To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2005 11:07 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Shiavo "Forbidden video"

> On Sunday 10 April 2005 12:31 pm, Leigh Meyers wrote:
>> Psychotherapy via keboard never *does* work quite right.
>
> Then please learn your own lesson. If you know so much about
> psychotherapy, then you know it is worthless if the subject doesn't
> want it.

I learn new things all the time... but I'm stubborn.

>> When I mentioned that Marta and Tully should seek help for
>> their hyper-emotionalism regarding Terri Schiavo, I meant it
>> in good faith, not as a flame.
>
> LOL So was your post just prior to the "get help" post, the one
> about "someone having too much time" also intended to be helpful?

Keep laughing, it works better than many prescription drugs.

>> However, Marta's attachment to the western medical practice
>> of drugging away the symptoms IS something I find seriously
>> disturbing, considering that the benzodiazepines she specifically
>> mentioned:
>
> More unrequested "help," eh? Perhaps you should flip thru your DSM4
> to find the listings under "addiction" as you appear to have a
> problem here. See how helpful I can be?

What about "drugging away the symptoms"? It's one of the most abused series of prescription drugs existant in the world today. That issue doesn't rate with you? What about the 2-4 week regimen that's never adhered to?

Your selectivity of cite is annoying and disingenous.

> The urls you mentioned were describing people who abuse the drug to
> get high, not people who really need that drug to prevent muscle
> contractions or seizures. One of your articles even said the drug
> was very non-toxic.

At least it's a balanced view.

> For you to say something like this to Marta simply goes beyond the
> pale. I hadn't realized that such a thing as health privilege could
> exist, until now.

Well if it does exist... I sure don't have it!