[lbo-talk] Psychotherapy

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Apr 11 13:48:47 PDT 2005

Thomas:
> I agree with Tully with qualifications....Of course, I
> might be partly wrong since my opinion is just based
> upon my own experiences. I think "talk therapy" is
> just bullshit. It might or might not help, in the
> same way as talking to a friend might help. Look at
> all the various talk therapies and, if I am not
> incorrect, they all have much the same percentage of
> effectiveness...which is pretty low. Of course, I
> dont know how levels of effectiveness are quantified.

I think you are putting apples and oranges to one bag. Talk therapies have been shown to help in certain conditions (such as affective disorders, anxieties etc.) - either as stand alone or with drug therapies.

But that should be separated from 'therapies' that are used to enhance life style rather than to treat disorders, such as ersatz of crappy or missing social relationships, a trendy fad, a status symbol etc - or to treat conditions that for which therapy is inappropriate.

It is a class issue, as well - lower middle folk are likely to have pills pushed down their throats, while more wealthy patients are more likely to be treated with talk therapy. That may be a result of the fact that the wealthy may have more treatment options available to them, that they may be more resistant to pill therapy (side effects), and also that the wealthy are often seen as more "rational" and thus more responsive to talk therapy, whereas the poor are seen as less rational and thus in need of external controls.

Therapy, like religion, can also be the opium of the people that is used to dull the pain caused by dysfunctional social relations - anxieties, fears, threats, loneliness, alienation, loss of dignity etc. Therefore, the need for therapy and the number of people involved in it may indicate the level of dysfunction in a society.

Wojtek