[lbo-talk] Exploitation

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Apr 12 10:03:30 PDT 2005

At 11:17 AM 4/12/2005, Tom Walker wrote:
>Another paradox is this, why is it so urgent to the people in the
>give-it-up group that the others give up their assumptions and opinions?
>Are they so unsure of their own opinions and assumptions that they need to
>"win" in order to keep believing what they believe? These are not
>rhetorical questions and they are not yes or no questions. They are meant
>to provoke an examination not of who is right and who is wrong but why it
>seems to matter to people that they are the ones who are right.
>The Sandwichman

To understand why, you should simply ask yourself why you posted this exhortation to "give it up" to the give-it-up group.

As someone who also reads this list --as a member of the audience, the reader -- I've changed my way of thinking about various topics and gone back to reread material because of what people have written on this list or what they've said in discussions/debates.

Carrol and I've gone round and round over the years, for instance. I was completely opposed to most of his positions on party building, etc. having gotten burnt out on various kinds of activism. We still disagree sometimes on the issue, but it seems to me that we've both come to appreciate one another's position and even managed to alter our own because we've influenced one another on the topic. His arguments and explanation about the use of rhetoric, logical fallacy, etc. etc. have also been persuasive. I could probably list more people who've similarly influenced my thinking.

Thank dog people are muleheaded sometimes. I learn a lot because they are. E.g., I'm learning a load about exploitation and the labor theory of value as I read Justin, Woj, etc.