[lbo-talk] Hitchens hit

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 11:29:58 PDT 2005

--- Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's important to recall why Mr. Scheuer needed to
> write his, by
> American standards, non-mainstream view of AQ. The
> common wisdom, only
> slightly caricatured, is that a group of fanatical
> Arab men looked
> across the ocean at America, noted how scantily clad
> Britney Spears
> generally is -- among other manifestations of US
> style freedom -- and
> decided to destroy our *way of life*.

Well, that belief is obviously wrong.

The problem with the jihadis is that they have cosmically (literally) maximalist demands that cannot be compromised on. Were jihadis content with Chechnya achieving its independence? No. Would they be content with a two-state solution for Palestine/Israel? I doubt it seriously. Indeed they would probably view Palestinian statehood as confirmation of their belief that God is on their side and would be encouraged in their anti-Israel (which is anti-Jewish now) Jihad, as they were when Chechnya kicked out the Russians in 1996 -- "now is our chance to conquer the Muslim lands of the Caucasus for God!" "Now is our chance to drive the Jews into the sea!"

These are really bad dudes. The coopt and poison every liberatory movement they happen across.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!