[lbo-talk] Peak Oil

Tom Walker timework at telus.net
Tue Apr 12 12:50:43 PDT 2005

A story has been going around about the International Energy Agency warning about an acute oil shortage. I wonder though -- the dateline on the story in the only original source I could find, Tass, was April 1st. The relevent items I could find at the IEA site were a power point presentation and a booklet about saving oil, which notes, "Though world oil markets remain adequately supplied, high oil prices do reflect increasingly uncertain conditions." /Saving Oil in a Hurry - Release date 28 April/, 160 pages, ISBN 92-64-10941-2 (2005) Type: Studies Subject: Transport ; Oil ; Emergency Preparedness ; Energy Efficiency * Release Date 28 April 2005 *

During 2004, oil prices reached levels unprecedented in recent years. Though world oil markets remain adequately supplied, high oil prices do reflect increasingly uncertain conditions. Many IEA member countries and non-member countries alike are looking for ways to improve their capability to handle market volatility and possible supply disruptions in the future. This book aims to provide assistance. It provides a new, quantitative assessment of the potential oil savings and costs of rapid oil demand restraint measures for transport. Some measures may make sense under any circumstances; others are primarily useful in emergency situations. All can be implemented on short notice – if governments are prepared. The book examines potential approaches for rapid uptake of telecommuting, “ecodriving”, and car-pooling, among other measures. It also provides methodologies and data that policymakers can use to decide which measures would be best adapted to their national circumstances. This “tool box” may help countries to complement other measures for coping with supply disruptions, such as use of strategic oil stocks.