[lbo-talk] Salon on Andrea Dworkin

amadeus amadeus amadeus482000 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 11:11:11 PDT 2005

> For Dworkin, it eventually
> evolved into the
> idea that rape victims should be allowed to
> personally execute their
> attackers. That idea was grandiose, it was
> idealistic and, like
> Dworkin, it was ultimately self-defeating."

Just out of curiosity, and please don't take this as implied advocacy, what standard of measurement leads us to think that these ideas were "self-defeating," or, as another writer said, the cause for setbacks in the feminist movement? How might this get determined? Did more rapes or denials of employment occur? I find the claims that these ideas were self-defeating to be "grandiose". Couldn't they be applied to anyone for anything, for any reason, without much need for explanation? People said the ideas of MLK Jr. were self-defeating, too. Prove or disprove.

"Mary Poppins is alive and well in Argentina, she sends her regards." - Rod McKuen, The Mud Kids