[lbo-talk] Road Tramps of Berkeley

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 23:31:13 PDT 2005

---- Original Message ---- From: Jordan Hayes To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 10:52 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Toilet Ladies of Berkeley

> Chuck Grimes writes:
>
>> The stop sign is in place because this particular
>> T-intersection provides access to the old California
>> School for the Blind and Deaf. The state moved the school
>> out of Berkeley in the late 70s and the university took
>> over the property to build dorms and extend various campus
>> service departments.
>
> Of course, Chuck misses an opportunity to answer "how Berkeley are
> you?" by reminding us that the University got the State to _condemn_
> this property because it sits on the Hayward Fault, commonly believed
> to be holding back on The Big One. Of course you can't have blind
> and deaf kids learning there, what if there's a quake? So they
> kicked them out. Raze the facilty? Earthquake-proof it? No way!
> Move the Freshmen in!
>
> Stole it fare and square, they did. Not even a little reinforcement,
> just a clean sweep and in go the university kids.
>
> /jordan

Screw the froshes... we still have People's Park.

Santa Cruz, down the coast, closed one of the public schools in the '70s because it would have cost too much to retrofit, and turned it into a community center for seniors and the community...

They also opened a day care center in the building.

L http://www.leighm.net http://www.furl.net/members/leigh_m/rss.xml