[lbo-talk] Peak Oil or Oil Bubble?

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Apr 14 08:25:42 PDT 2005

Andy F writes:

> I don't think the peak theory is in serious dispute.

There are certainly those who oppose it (and reading them is instructive if only because it shows just how little we know: my favorite 'theory' is that oil isn't organic at all, but it gathers organic ingredients on its journey to the surface from somewhere in the magma ... hey, it turns out we have no idea how to "make" oil [though we've had reasonable success with making synthetics that behave better for some uses, so ...]!), but the important issue is not "if" but "when" -- because if the "when" is at all coincident with a shift away from fossil fuels (and they can happen at widely different times!), then there's no crisis.