[lbo-talk] Peak Oil or Oil Bubble?

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Apr 14 09:52:35 PDT 2005

> I am perplexed that Doug would say on KPFA Radio
> this morning that 'peak oil is the wrong thing to
> worry about, rather we should be worry about pollution',
> or words to that effect - seems like a false dichotomy.
> In fact peakolistas are saying (among other things) that
> peak oil provides a pratical rationale to promote not only
> alternative energy use methods, but to re-assess the
> worlds' entire industrial model.

On the other hand, you have these people who have hijacked their Prius electrical systems to allow for bigger batteries and more time on them than from the factory because of their mistaken belief that a mile on a battery is better than a mile on gasoline -- even though the electricity they charge the batteries with comes from burning coal instead of gasoline which produces, on average, no pollution from a Prius.

I'm with Doug: keep your head in the game. Let's tackle things like 4mi/gallon diesel trucks and dirty coal factories before we jump on the "if it's electricity, it must be clean!" wagon.

/jordan